Why Change? Society demands it. It has been more than 100 years since the last major change in medical education in this country.
Changes in medicine include:
- The shift in the nature of disease from acute illness to chronic multisystem disease
- Our knowledge about disease and management
- The desire of patients to participate in their own health care delivery
- The explosion of technology and biomedical informatics
- The financing and organization of the healthcare delivery system
- The organization and operation of the academic medical centers