As a COM researcher, what should I do?
- Consider/be attentive to whether your research or clinical activity has possible commercial applications
- when designing your study
- when analyzing results
- if you have an "aha" moment
- Disclose your idea to TCO for evaluation before publishing/presenting OR within a year after a public disclosure OR put a confidentiality agreement in place
- Assist TCO in understanding the current state of the art in the field of your invention and potential applications of your work
- If a patent application is filed, become a partner with TCO and patent counsel to overcome objections raised by the USPTO
- Offer guidance to TCO on potential market opportunities and licensees
- Attend talks on patenting, commercialization
- Ask questions!
- Become a mentor to others
Contact Brenda Akins, (614)247-1973, at Ohio State's College of Medicine Office of Research for local guidance on technology transfer and commercialization issues.